Q: My car will move if it's at 8000 rpm but I only get up to 15 mph

I have a 1984 toyota tercel sr5 wagon with the 4wd option but recently it lost power to the front tires I have a new clutch ready to put in but I need to know if it is the clutch that is the problem. At around 8000rpm it starts to rock when it's in reverse once I get it on a flat surface and I put it in first gear it revs up to 8000 rpm again and slowly starts to move it does this up until fifth gear once it's in fifth it starts to hold at 8000 rpm but slows to a complete stop then I have to put it back in first gear and start pushing it to start moving so that I can get back to my driveway is this my clutch being bad or is it something else like the front cv shafts?

Hello, thanks for writing in. This sounds like your clutch disc is worn out and not connecting the engine and transmission together when you let out on the clutch. You should not rev your engine to 8000 rpm or you my cause engine damage. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your loss of power firsthand. You may have to replace the clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing along with the input shaft pilot bearing.

3. My car will move if it's at 8000 rpm but I only get up to 15 mph