Q: We have a 2013 toyota highlander 3.5L and the dealership said that we have to replace the drive belt but we only have 55,893miles.

asked by on March 02, 2017

The dealership told us that we need to replace the drive belt.. is that true? How long does a drive belt last anyway?

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $95.44 - $301.27 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The drive belt’s life span will depend on the quality of the belt. While some are designed to last 20,000 miles, some will last much longer. It has a lot to do with how the vehicle is driven, the weather, and the manufacture. Your best option is to confirm with the technician why the drive belt needs to be replaced. Ask them why they think it needs to be replaced, if it is physically damaged (frayed, cracked, broken, loose), and how long the new one is supposed to last. You can even do an inspection of the drive belt yourself, as they should be uniform and damage free. With the car off, press down on the belt and see if it gives way. This would mean the belt is loose or the tensioner has failed. For a second opinion, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.