Q: My car starts and shifts but doesn't move in any gear and there is no check engine light, what would be the problem?

asked by on July 20, 2016

I checked battery voltage is with in specs, shifter moves up and down like usual with a few rpm bump every time. I also checked the axels by lifting the tire left and right and they don't turn wich tells me they are not broken. The only thing I found is the driver's side axel boot close to the tire is torn and leaking grease all over. When I first checked the coolant level was low and it was spilled all over the engine compartment.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $440.73 Get a Quote
Not able to change gears Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

You need to check the transmission fluid level to see if it is low. This would cause the no transmission engagement. If fluid is full then you have a transmission shift control valve issue which will need to be tested for pressure loss or there may be a front transmission pump that has failed.

These checks should be done by a transmission mechanic with the proper test equipment. However, feel free to contact a qualified professional who can come to you and diagnose the issue with your gears if you’d like a second opinion on this. Good luck.