Q: My 2002 Ford escort zx2 want move in drive but it Will in reverse, I checked the trans fluid and it was dirty and look like it was

My Ford escort zx2 won't shift in drive but it shift in reverse we just got the car from my mother in law i don't know if my step son did anything when he tried getting out of the snow when he got stuck for a day the car wouldn't move into the next day when he drives the car back home and me and my wife left out it Started jerking a little bit it drove good for awhile then we got stuck in the snow instead of me trying to get out the snow I put it in reverse to go the other way and drove home OK so my wife let her son use the car again and again I left to go to the store I noticed the car was dragging and driving slow.

Hi Gus. Thanks for the question today. Typically when this issue occurs in snow conditions, it can be as simple as excessive ice or snow built-up on a shift solenoid or sensor, while in other instances, it can indicate an internal transmission or differential problem. With the car being 15-years old, the possibilities can also include an obstruction of debris inside the transmission fluid hydraulic lines or inner seal damage. I think the smart thing to do is wait for the snow to melt and see if this clears up naturally. If not, have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a hard to shift inspection.