Q: My car shuts off whenever I turn on the AC

My car has had problems with the compressor. At first we thought the AC just needed freon but when we put some it worked for about a week then went back to blowing out hot air. We attempted to put freon again but this time it didn't wanna take any freon and even if we tried to put more it would just constantly blow out hot air. So I stopped using the AC completely and it's been getting a bit colder so for some reason I would turn on the defroster in the morning it'll eventually shut off. But now it's like as soon as I press the max AC the car shakes a little then just turns off completely. I would like to know if maybe you knew what could possibly cause that

A: Hi there. It sounds like the compressor its...

Hi there. It sounds like the compressor itself is failing. When it fails internally the compressor binds which can cause an extra load on the engine which will cause it to run like this. I usually install a pressure gauge to see what the compressor is doing. The pressures would be a good indication as to what is going on with the compressor. If you need to have the A/C compressor checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your A/C system and replace your A/C compressor if necessary.