Q: Car jerking when stopped or when trying to change gears

asked by on October 17, 2017

I recently purchased 2 back tires (cause my old ones had no tread) and one of the tires got a tear in it. So after I put the spare on, my car started jerking and rumbling or even dying completely when idle. When accelerating it feels like my car is struggling and when it gets to 3000 RPM it jerks a few times as it tries to change gears. When stopped it tries to push itself, rumbles, and goes between 0 and 1000 RPM. Any suggestions?

I would classify this as rough operation/loss of power. To find the exact cause will require an on-site inspection and that inspection can be performed on a mobile basis right at your location. Rough operation could be due to a bad tank of gasoline, dirty fuel injectors, incorrect idle speed, exhaust restrictions, vacuum leaks, incorrectly installed or damaged spark plugs, a defective or clogged fuel pump or fuel filter, failing electrical components such as the ignition control module, plug wires, coils, and spark plugs, a defective airflow sensor, dirty oxygen sensors and other causes. If you request the rough operation/loss of power diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.