Q: if an engine is rebuilt, does that include the timing chain also?

I had an engine rebuilt for a 2007 Toyota Camry automatic. Does that include timing chain. The same day I picked up the car it had a tapping sound. I was told that will go away. I went back a week later because the tapping had not stop. They looked at it said they have to adjust the lifters. The tapping is a little quieter but still there. They then told me the car needs the timing chain replaced. Should the timing chain should have been replaced with the engine?

Hi there. Why was the engine rebuild performed? That model year Camry does not have adjustable lifters; they are hydraulic and depend on proper oil pressure to operate properly. These lifters also have to be primed with oil prior to installing during an engine rebuild. There is also the camshaft carrier that has small oil ports to feed the camshafts and lifters with oil. If the technician that performed the rebuild applied too much sealant, one or more of the oil passages could be blocked or restricted resulting in the noise you’re hearing. Then there is also the possibility that the noise could be in the lower part of the engine or an accessory. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts and determine where and what is causing the noise. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an engine is making a noise inspection.