Q: My car makes a grating noise while applying the brakes to turn

This morning I noticed a heavy grating noise every time I applied the brakes to turn. If i didn't use the brakes my car made the turn with none of the grating noise. It is starting to get more notice able as the day goes on because it started the noise on my way out of town. My parents and siblings have suggested brake pads, ball joints, and power steering fluid needing flushed. What is wrong and other than the noise, it brakes and steers just fine but is it safe?

A: It sounds like you need to check your front...

It sounds like you need to check your front brakes. Most of the braking is done with the front brakes, therefore they tend to wear out more quickly than the rear brakes. If you let it go too long, you will need to replace the rotors as well. Have the brakes checked ASAP as this is also a safety concern for you and others on the road. I suggest having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your braking system to determine the exact cause of your concern.