Q: My car is sputtering

It started today when I left from work. It never done this until today. It's making a light sputtering and when I'm at a complete stop while it's still in drive It does it and I can slightly feel the car move. When I got home I looked under the hood to check the hoses and stuff but everything is connected probably so I turned it on and looked underneath and I noticed some light exhaust coming from the exhaust pipe but not from the end. Close to it but not the end. Could a hole in my exhaust pipe make my car sputter like it is?

A: Hello - while a small hole in the exhaust w...

Hello - while a small hole in the exhaust will have an irregular exhaust noise to it, your symptoms sound more like a misfire on one or more cylinders. This could be caused by bad plugs, wires or coils. Other faults could include an air leak around a hose, a leaking or clogged fuel injector, etc. I would recommend having a Car Idle Is Rough Inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.