Q: my car is at 100,000 miles i was told not to change my ATF fluid because itwould create more problems

asked by on March 16, 2018

my vehicle is almost at 100,000 miles. I brought it to chevy dealer for ATF fluid change and they advised me not to touch it. they said it could stir up problems. I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed in the past.

Hi Russ. Thanks for contacting us tonight. As a vehicle’s transmission ages, the inner seals and gaskets begin to dry naturally. This is accelerated inside an automatic transmission, which is a hydraulic unit. In some cases, when the transmission fluid is flushed, it can cause those inner seals to break, which then requires replacement. You can simply change the fluid and not flush the system, which is probably the best thing to do at this point.