Q: My car idles more when I am braking if I am not In park it isn't too bad. Any ideas my car is a 2011 ford fusion se

My car idles more when I am braking if I am not In park it isn't too bad. Any ideas my car is a 2011 ford fusion se It has recently started doing I stay up to date with oil changes etc.

Hi Danielle. Thanks for contacting us today. A few things can cause engine idle speed to be higher than normal. First, if you are braking or decelerating, it’s common for a transmission to downshift, which will increase the idle speed - this is a normal operation. However, if it’s not downshifting, then a faulty idle control valve or a vacuum leak somewhere can cause the idle to be higher than normal. For peace of mind, you might want to have a professional mechanic complete an idle is high inspection at your location, so they can attempt to replicate the symptom and determine if something is wrong.

3. My car idles more when I am braking if I am not In park it isn't too bad. Any ideas my car is a 2011 ford fusion se