Q: If i replace my thermostat and my car is still running hot , what else can it be ?

My check engine light showed up , it was running hot also . I was told it could have been my thermostat , so I purchased one and got it replaced . On the way to work yesterday it stopped on me , I tried twice to cut it back on the third time I gave it some gas and it came on . As I was turning it was making a clacking noise , as soon as I pulled it in the gas station it cut back off . What could it be , this my first time having these issues .

When dealing with issues like these, always start with the simplest options first. The thermostat is only designed to read liquid. If the coolant is low, the reading on your dashboard may not be accurate. The vehicle may have been over heating and you wouldn’t have had an accurate idea. Make sure the coolant is full. If the coolant is not full, there is a leak on the system that will need to be found and repaired. Other cooling components that can cause overheating include a clogged or damaged radiator, a broken water pump, failed radiator cap, and failed fans. The best way to test this is to go one by one and make sure each component is working correctly. The clicking you were hearing could have come from almost anything. The oil gets hot and looses its viscosity. This can cause all moving parts lubricated with oil to become vulnerable to metal on metal contact.

3. If i replace my thermostat and my car is still running hot , what else can it be ?