Q: My car has a problem starting but the check engine light is off. It drives smooth but cuts off when I stop at stop signs.

asked by on March 17, 2017

I have a 2001 Lexus is300. My check engine light isn't on but my car seems to take longer than usual to cut on. Once it cuts on it drives smooth then it starts to idle and cuts off when I stop at stop signs.

Hi There, You may have a dirty or faulty idle control valve. The idle control valve is a unit that reads the air intake into the engine and relays vital information to the computer which then uses this information to make adjustments to the fuel injection providing more or less fuel depending on the conditions. When this is not working properly, this may cause the engine to idle erratically or stall at slow speeds or stops as you describe. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.