Q: My car accelerates slowly when first taking off and jumps when it shifts gears. What could it be?

When I take off it goes slow and seems like it gets stuck in gear while driving and revs for about 5 second then jumps into next gear

This may be related to low transmission fluid or potentially a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you may know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear.

When this is faulty or not working properly, it can cause a delay in gear shifting or, in some cases, cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why your car is shifting oddly and suggest the needed repairs.

3. My car accelerates slowly when first taking off and jumps when it shifts gears. What could it be?