Q: My anti theft system is activated and my car won't start. I didn't know there was even an alarm on the car. I've tried everything

asked by on March 06, 2017

I've tried everything from shutting everything and locking the doors and opening with the key. Undoing the battery...nothing I don't know what to do. The car with a lock will blink but will stop blinking and stay on.. I can't turn my key all the way back with out releasing it under the steering wheel... I'm so frustrated and I don't have enough money to take it to a dealership

Your anti-theft system (pass-lock) may have a fault or it may be the key itself. The keys have a chip embedded in them. When inserted into the ignition, the alarm system looks for codes from the key. Try another key if you have one. If it starts, then the first key is bad and has to be replaced. If it does not start with the second key or you do not have one, you may be able to take the key itself to the dealer to see if it is actually transmitting properly. If you have 2 keys and it does not start, try this procedure. The Passlock system has two basic relearn procedures—a ten-minute procedure and a thirty-minute procedure. Which one you use depends on the system and what components have been replaced. The ten-minute procedure involves trying to start the engine. If nothing happens or the engine starts and dies, the security light will be flashing. Leave the key in the On position and wait ten minutes. The flashing light should go off or illuminate without flashing. When it does, turn the ignition off, wait twenty seconds, and then try to start the engine. If it starts and runs, everything is okay. If you get the same result as previously—nothing happens or the engine starts and dies with the security light flashing—wait ten more minutes. You will now begin the thirty-minute relearn procedure, which is just the ten-minute procedure repeated three times. After turning the ignition off for the third time and waiting for twenty seconds, the engine should start and run. If it doesn’t, there may still be something wrong with the system. After the learn procedure is completed and the engine is running, the security light may stay on steady for a few minutes and then go off—this is normal. Depending on the system, replacement of key components will necessitate that a relearn procedure be completed. These include the ignition lock cylinder, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Body Control Module (BCM), or Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). If this relearn procedure does not work, the dealership service department may be your only choice.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr