Q: My alarm is randomly going off

I am having problems with the alarm system on my car. Not a day has gone by where I haven't grabbed my keys and had to run to my car because the alarm randomly goes off. I've tried opening and shutting all the doors (along with the hood and trunk), checking the sensor, and attempting to disable the battery. I have not been able to stop it from going off at random. I have had to just lock the doors manually by key in order to avoid setting the alarm. I tried calling the dealership hoping they would have some insight. All they said was to bring it in, and I work a lot so that isn't possible right now. What could be going on?

There are numerous reasons this may be happening. However, there is a technical service bulletin (TSB) #09-BE-026 pertaining to alarm system self activation due to a defective hood switch pad.

The TSB states: The vehicle alarm system may intermittently sound due to light contact of the hood switch pad with the hood switch. The cure is to replace the switch with a revised part, which is taller. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your vehicle’s electrical system firsthand to determine if this is the problem with your vehicle.