Q: Transmission problem?

asked by on May 29, 2017

My vehicle is making a slight jump when I put it in drive. The knobs (on the inside) on the doors keep clicking back and forth sometimes, also the interior lights keeps flickering on and off when the knobs Flip back-and-forth.

What could be the problem?

It sounds like you may have a problem with voltage draw regarding the switches and interior lights inside the vehicle. The jumping/jerking reaction when putting the car in drive may be related to low transmission fluid. This can happen for a few different reasons such as low transmission fluid or a faulty control solenoid. An automatic transmission requires hydraulic pressure generated by the transmission fluid that gets pushed through a series of chambers inside the transmission, activating solenoids that cause the transmission to shift at specific intervals. These intervals are controlled by the transmission control module which reads input from transmission speed sensors to determine the rotational speed of the input and output shafts in the transmission. Based upon this information, the control module directs the transmission shifting function. When any of these components are not working properly, you may notice an erratic shifting of gears or in some cases the transmission may not shift at all. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.