Q: Loud grinding noise coming from front of the car.

I all of a sudden heard a very loud grinding noise, like metal on metal, originating from the left front tire. The noise was not associated with pressing the brakes.

A: This could possibly be a wheel bearing fail...

This could possibly be a wheel bearing failure. Wheel bearings can go dry causing a grinding or growling noise when the wheels are spinning. I would recommend having your suspension system inspected for any play or faulty parts. When wheel bearings go dry they will eventually develop free play. When this free play develops the vehicle becomes unsafe as well as annoying to drive. Have this suggestion confirmed by a professional from YourMechanic. If the wheel bearing has play or is the cause of the loud noise have it replaced as soon as possible in order to keep your vehicle in a safe driving condition.