Q: C250 50k, just changed timing chain tensioner, still chatters for on second on cold start

I question replacing entire chain, also I have heard two hoses feeding variable valve timing go bad as well. Not looking to waste the valves

Hello. For most vehicles it could actually be considered normal to hear a little bit of chattering when the vehicle is first started. This is due to the engine needing a brief period of time for the oiling system to pressurize and provide tension for the chain. If the chattering is excessive or loud then it may be possible that the chain could be stretched or worn due to wear. Replacing the timing chain is a relatively involved procedure, so I would recommend having a professional technician verify that the chain need to be replaced to avoid a potentially unnecessary repair.