Q: Coolant disappears when AC is on

Hi , I am Sarfraz from Pakistan.I will appretiate if you can guid eke with my problem. I have a Suzuki Baleno 2003 , 1.3 liter , Manual Transmission. A year ago i have overhauled the engine and inserted the new radiator also. I felt that when in summers the temperature rises to 45 degree celcius out side , when i turn on the AC , my coolant level decreases ( i have noticed around half liter after every 15 Kilometers ).When i turn off the AC is stays on the same level.So the problem starts with turning on the AC.I have checked with all the water pipes and since the radiator is new , so there is no leakage any where.Last day after 25 Kilometers most of the coolant in the radiator disappeared but the temperature gauge was on half the level as it is normally.I am much concerned about it , please help. image of similar to my car can be found here 1) http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/baleno/253452d1308208330-baleno-check-engine-light-engine.jpg.

Hello Sarfaz.

Firstly, a few things I would check is your radiator cap, double check it for leaks. If it looks okay, then the problem may be more serious.

A bad radiator cap can cause coolant to slowly leak out by evaporation or a small leak. Small leaks may not leave noticeable trails of coolant, but they may leave behind a faint odor caused from coolant evaporating. If these things check out ok, then I think there maybe a more serious issue with the engine, such as warp or damage to the heads. However, if the engine is not overheating this is likely not the case, but I would refer to a professional technician for a more conclusive on-site diagnosis. Good luck.

3. Coolant disappears when AC is on