Q: My 1995 4cyl truck temp gauge fluctuates when first started from cold start not later in day

After I first start my truck in the morning my temperature gauge fluctuates up to about half way then down to about a 1/3..... It happens after 1st start up and driving about a mile or two on the freeway (peddle to the mettle up to 65 mph - live in the country ).. on one occasion it went up and down several times on a 30 mile fwy trip. It doesn’t seem to be over heating. It doesn’t do this later on in the day after stopping and parking for awhile.....when out and about..... to the Post Office...... Home Depot, the market..........

Hi Richard. Thanks for contacting us today. In most cases, when the vehicle runs hotter than normal, it’s caused by either a thermostat that isn’t opening when it should, debris that is trapped in the coolant lines, old coolant lines that have hardened or low coolant levels (too much water - not enough coolant). It’s also possible that the front of the radiator is blocked with debris (this is rather common for those living in the country on dirt roads). In some instances, simply spraying off the front of the radiator frequently will help reduce these symptoms. If they haven’t been replaced in a while, I would start by replacing the coolant lines, flushing the coolant system and replacing the thermostat of the radiator - as these tend to be the most common causes of this issue. If you’d like to have one of our mechanics come to your location to help you diagnose the issue first, please click this link to set up an inspection.

3. My 1995 4cyl truck temp gauge fluctuates when first started from cold start not later in day