Q: my 1991 camaro v6 is getting spark and fuel but wont start

asked by on December 02, 2016

my 1991 camaro v6 is getting spark and fuel but wont start. My uncle and I tried replacing the fuel injectors, checking the ECU, checking the fuse box, and checking the firing order of the pistons, and giving it new gas and oil. It will make a slow weak reving noise then it chokes itself out after about 10 seconds of making the noise . We tried spraying starter fluid directly into the intake and it improved the noise. It made a slightly stronger and slightly faster reving noise. But all that still didn't fix it. We are lost on what to do now.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If the EGR valve is stuck open or there is a large vacuum leak(s), that could cause the problem you are having. A severe restriction in the exhaust system could cause this issue. You’ll also want to check to be sure a worn timing chain hasn’t jumped. If you check all "external engine" possibilities and you can’t get it to run, you’ll have to check the chain and timing marks to be sure everything lines up. A cylinder compression test can "indirectly" indicate if valve timing is way off. As far as fuel, you’ll want to check actual fuel pressure on the rail as you could have lower than required pressure due to a faulty regulator, pump, and/or clogged fuel filter. Also, your engine may have a cold start injector, cold start injector time switch, and/or a coolant temperature sensor, all designed to get the engine running initially by adjusting the air fuel ratio for cold operation. If any of these components are faulty, that could explain it. In any event, if you want a quick solution, a certified Mechanic could perform a no-start diagnostic and get the root cause identified quickly, letting you know of the required repair and cost.