Q: Car not cranking

My car will not crank. I believe it is a starter or electrical problem.

Hello. If your engine will not crank the most common cause is the battery. The battery should be load tested to see if it is bad. If the battery is fine, then I typically test for voltage at the small wire at the starter when someone tries starting the vehicle. If there is power, then the the problem is with the starter. If there is no power, then the car may have a relay or ignition switch problem. The starting circuit also goes through the transmission position switch so that may have a problem also. If you are looking to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose why your car is not cranking.