Q: Muffler smoke after doing repairs on the car

After I had some repairs done on the vehicle, I started it up and drove it around for a while. Then, there was a lot of smoke all of a sudden, coming from the muffler. I had the transmission oil replaced. Also, I changed the filter and oil, and had the spark plugs and air filter replaced. The problem happened after I did this. What did I do wrong and what could be the damage?

A: Most likely, the work you had done and the ...

Most likely, the work you had done and the smoke are unrelated. Black exhaust smoke indicates a rich air fuel mixture and can be caused by problems like a leaking fuel injector or faulty engine sensor. White exhaust smoke indicates coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber and can be caused by problems such as a leaking head gasket or cracked head. Finally, blue-gray smoke indicates that the engine is burning oil. This can be caused by issues such as worn valve guides or piston rings. I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the smoke that’s coming from the car firsthand.