Q: Motor rebuild. Loss of power when driving. Knock coming from top end.

My father had the motor rebuilt in this ranger by a friend/mechanic. The head/valve train was not refreshed however. I believe the timing chain was replaced. When he was driving it home the truck lost power and had to be towed. It sit for a year after that. He gave the truck to me so I started working on it. I had to replace the fuel pump to get it started. The truck started and idled fine. Once it got warm I heard a knock in the top end of the motor. After talking to the mechanic who rebuilt the motor he suggested it was something to do with lash adjusters. He is not capable of fixing the truck at the moment and I can not afford a traditional mechanic. Where should I start on the diagnosis/repair of this issue? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there. The valve tappets are under the camshafts, and in order to replace the bad ones, or ones that need clearance adjustments by replacing lash adjuster, you would need to have camshafts removed. This is a major job to only be performed by a qualified mechanic or severe engine damage may happen if not done correctly. Depending on how badly you need to get the car running, your best bet may be to have another mobile mechanic diagnose the vehicle’s loss of power in person to advise you on any repairs that need to be made.

• Motor rebuild. Loss of power when driving. Knock coming from top end.