Q: Misfiring car won't start 2002 Honda Accord

Some mornings and evenings, car will turn over but won't start. Yesterday it wouldn't turn over at all for a while. Besides that it runs great. Had fuel pump changed and coil but didn't fix the issue.

A: Hi! When a vehicle's engine will crank ...

Hi! When a vehicle's engine will crank over at normal speed but won't start, it is lacking fuel or ignition spark. The test that is performed to check for correct fuel pressure involves attaching a gauge to the fuel rail near the injectors, turning the key on, and then cranking the engine. The results are compared to Honda's specifications.

Low fuel pressure can be caused by bad pump, low voltage supplied to pump, or faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Another test is done to check for spark at the plugs. No (or weak) spark can be caused by low battery, fouled plugs, faulty distributor assembly, cap, rotor, coil, igniter, or poor electrical connection. Honda also uses a PGM-FI main relay that can cause your symptoms. Have the battery tested first. If you would like this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the starting issue and perform the right repairs.