Q: Is there a model number, etc. on my car tire that can help me find its speed rating and load index (service description)?

Is there a model number, etc. on my car tire that can help me find its speed rating and load index (service description)?

A: Your tires are an essential part of your ve...

Your tires are an essential part of your vehicle. They can affect it in so many different ways. Not only are they a component that we can expect to spend money on over time, but they also have a huge impact on the way that the vehicle handles, how comfortable it rides, and your tires can also give you an idea of other things going wrong with your vehicle. To ensure that your tires give you the proper amount of life and that they also perform as you would expect it is important to choose the right tire for your vehicle. Knowing the service descriptions on your tires can help you to make a knowledgeable choice.

Besides the tire size there are five main service descriptions on your tire. The first being treadwear. The treadwear rating is a rating given to the tire based on how long the tire should last. There is no standard mileage based on this rating, but the higher the number the longer the tire will last. The next is the load rating of the tire. The load rating is a maximum weight rating that the tire can handle when the tire is in good shape. This weight should never be exceeded as the tire can fail while it is being used. The speed rating is a very important part of your tire's service description, especially on performance vehicles. The speed rating comes in later form t letter correlates to a maximum speed. If the vehicle is driven at a high rate of speed you will want to make sure that your tire has the correct speed rating for your vehicle. You should also pay close attention to the temperature rating and the traction rating of the tire. Both of these can have an impact on the way that the vehicle handles and how long the tires last. These ratings are based on how well the tire will handle or grip in wet weather and what kind of temperature that the tire can maintain whether it be from hot weather driving or from aggressive driving. These ratings both show in letter form. When it comes to the temperature rating it comes in an A, B or C rating, with A being the highest and C being the lowest. The traction rating is similar, except it has an AA rating as the highest rating and a C as the lowest. These ratings typically will coincide with the quality of the tire, how long it will last, and how much is costs.

It is important that you are using the correct tire for your vehicle. When it is time to purchase new tires you should always choose tires with the same ratings as the tires coming off of the vehicle of not higher. In some cases you may need to purchase tires with lower ratings due to cost, but it is essential that you get as close as possible as that will ensure the safety and performance of the vehicle and can keep the tires from wearing out too quickly. If you have a hard time choosing the right tire you should consult a knowledgeable tire professional or technician.