Q: Whining noise 40 mph on 2007 Audi A3 Quattro

My Quattro has 10,500 miles on it. The engine makes a whining noise periodically at around 40 mph. Then it makes a steady wam wam noise at all the rpms in third, fourth, fifth and sixth gears. I balanced and rotated my tires and could still hear the sounds. I couldn’t hear anything when I listened closely to the wheel hub bearings. Do you have any ideas on what is causing the noises.

A: Hello. Most of the time, this is caused by ...

Hello. Most of the time, this is caused by a failure in the transmission. It may be as simple as a low or contaminated fluid. I usually check the fluid and change it if it is bad. If the fluid is fine or if the issue continues, then it may have a failure in one of the internal bearings. If you need to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the whining noise and let you know what should be done.