Q: Whining noise 40 mph on 2007 Audi A3 Quattro

My Quattro has 10,500 miles on it. The engine makes a whining noise periodically at around 40 mph. Then it makes a steady wam wam noise at all the rpms in third, fourth, fifth and sixth gears. I balanced and rotated my tires and could still hear the sounds. I couldn’t hear anything when I listened closely to the wheel hub bearings. Do you have any ideas on what is causing the noises.

Hello. Most of the time, this is caused by a failure in the transmission. It may be as simple as a low or contaminated fluid. I usually check the fluid and change it if it is bad. If the fluid is fine or if the issue continues, then it may have a failure in one of the internal bearings. If you need to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the whining noise and let you know what should be done.

3. Whining noise 40 mph on 2007 Audi A3 Quattro