Q: The engine klunking and tapping, needs engine replacemet

Hello. I have a well-maintained car with a around 150,000 miles on it. I have changed the oil regularly at 3,000 miles as suggested. Recently, the engine started making klunking noise. It happened after around 1,500 miles from the last time I changed the oil. The oil was dirty when I checked it. I took it to a shop to get the oil changed and I was told that the engine had to be replaced right away. I only got my oil chaged. As I didn't have the amount of money needed for the replacement, I went to another shop and was told the same thing. After I changed the oil this time, the engine started tapping constantly. I need your opinion on this issue. Is the engine replacement necessary and could I do anything else to keep the car running? Thank you in advance.

The reason the shops told you to replace the engine is that they do not overhaul engines. They can only replace it for you with a remanufactured or used engine. An overhaul is a third option but would most likely not be as cost effective and may even cost you more since the labor and parts can be more than replacing it. Since you already had two shops say it needs an engine, then I would suggest having them both give you quotes on remanufactured or used one. Make sure to get the warranty in writing so you can see if a future failure is covered.

3. The engine klunking and tapping, needs engine replacemet