Q: Smog pump making noise

I can hear a noise from one of the engine accessories. I think it is from the smog pump because there is no noise if the serpentine belt is removed.

Hi there. You’re on the right track. When the belt is off, spin each part by hand and try to reproduce the noise. Use a drill if you are uncertain at slow speeds. Whichever part is noisy, usually needs replaced. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the engine noise and replace any damaged parts.

3. Smog pump making noise