Q: Smog pump making noise

I can hear a noise from one of the engine accessories. I think it is from the smog pump because there is no noise if the serpentine belt is removed.

A: Hi there. You’re on the right track. When t...

Hi there. You’re on the right track. When the belt is off, spin each part by hand and try to reproduce the noise. Use a drill if you are uncertain at slow speeds. Whichever part is noisy, usually needs replaced. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the engine noise and replace any damaged parts.