Q: Mechanic changed cambelt and water pump and whilst returning it, it supposedly jumped off. Engine stopped dead. No more engine

My engine overheated the previous weekend for the first time. No hot air coming out of heater! Only cold. So I thought water pump and brought a new one. Phoned around to get it fitted, all garages saying I'll need a new cambelt! OK no problem. Phoned around the local garages no spaces, a friend recommended his friend who has 9yrs experience and would charge £200 to change cambelt and water pump. Picked up car and said back by the following afternoon. Got a text "on way" and need the rest of his money. As he supplied cambelt kit. Next got call car stopped and cambelt jumped off. What follows is that is its NOT HIS FAULT? He saying apparently someone previous had "helicoil" one off the pulley holes and that whilst returning the car this had failed and had made the belt jump. Now he says that none of this is his fault and that he will not charge for labour, if I pay for bits. As internal engine damage. Car at present is nearly worth less and I'm out of pocket with no driveable car.

Hello. I hate to say this but it is his fault. It sounds like he is not being truthful about what happened because if that was the case it would have come off well before he worked on it. It sounds to me like he installed the belt incorrectly and it came off damaging the valves of the engine. In that case he should be responsible to fix it just like any shop would at his own cost.

3. Mechanic changed cambelt and water pump and whilst returning it, it supposedly jumped off. Engine stopped dead. No more engine