Q: My battery drains itself like a ghost every now and then. Whats the problem?

asked by on March 06, 2017

my battery drains its self like a ghost every now and then whats the problem.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The battery may be having several issues. If you have had the battery tested, and it passes all of the tests, then you are looking at parasitic draw. This is an electrical component, sensor, or part of the memory that is drawing excess power while the vehicle is off. To locate this kind of electrical problem will take a reasonable amount of testing with a voltmeter, and an understanding of what systems pull power and their acceptable levels to pull. A repair manual may help if you are attempting this at home. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Hi there. The battery drains itself for a parasitic draw applied to the battery when the key is out of the ignition and the doors closed. To check this condition, make sure that the battery is fully charged and remove the negative (-) battery cable from the negative (-) battery post. Then put a digital volt meter on the negative (-) post and on the negative (-) battery cable and check to see if there is a voltage present. If there is a voltage present, then go in the car and turn on one thing at a time until the voltage goes to zero or near zero. Then that component is not working and needs repaired or replaced. If you need further assistance with your battery draining, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.