Q: Loud banging from driver's side rear of car

I hear a very loud banging that sounds like it's coming from the driver's side rear of the car sometimes. Is this a wheel bearing issue?

Hello. A banging noise can come from many different parts in the rear of your vehicle. Typically if the noise only occurs intermittently then it is not a bearing. A bearing tends to make more of a rubbing or roaring noise. A banging can be the result of a failed strut or rear track arm with bad bushings. These usually make more noise when going over bumps or rough roads. If it happens at other times also then it may be a loose or broken exhaust hanger. I have also seen spare tires that are loose in the trunk cause a rear banging noise. If the spare tire is tight then the vehicle needs to be put in the air to check the other parts that I mentioned.

3. Loud banging from driver's side rear of car