Q: Loss of power under acceleration

asked by on July 31, 2017

When i start my car it idles fine but when i rev. It up it revs fine but when i put it in first gear and go it takes a second to get up and go and once you get to 4 or 5 grand. And shift to second i have very little power i put the pedal to the floor in all gears and it seems to not want to go over 40 mph there is also no mil light on either i have been told it was either a clogged cat, clogged fuel pump, plugs and wires, timing problem, or even the distributor cap i don't know what else i could check there is no vacuum leak anywhere

Hello, thank you for writing in. The components you have checked thus far have been valid steps. You want to go through system by system, and make sure the engine is getting what it needs. Start with the fuel system, and check the fuel pressure at the engine. With good pressure, test the injectors’ electrical resistances to make sure they are working as well. You can also use a fuel injector cleaner. Then check the spark system and make sure your plugs are clean, dry, and tight. Make sure they are getting the proper voltage, and then turn your attention to the air intake system. Even without any check engine lights on, you will want to scan the vehicle for diagnostic codes. Not all codes set off a check engine or warning light. For more help with diagnostics, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.