Q: Loses power 60 mph

My Chevy Express 1500 looses power during acceleration and at 60 mph the engine pops and pings. It has about 82k miles on it. It had a cricket sound chirping under the hood and took it to a local repair shop. The fan had a loose screw that was hitting the fan when it turned which caused the noise. The fan clutch was replaced for a better operating fan. I asked them to replace the serpentine belt, too. 2 days later I noticed a loss of power again when I accelerated to 60 - 65 mph. The engine sputtered making a popping sound. It doesn’t happen all the time but about 60% of the time. I tried high octane gas on one fill up, and it seemed to solve the problem but on the next fill up I went back to cheap gas and the problem returned immediately. The repair shop told me that a high mileage tune-up should solve my problem. Do you think the first repair this the repair shop did for me created the second problem? Or is it a coincidence that I started having power issues just after his first repair? Another repair shop suggested I use a can of BG 44K fuel additive.

A: Hi! I believe your problems are unrelated a...

Hi! I believe your problems are unrelated and not caused by one another. I think it’s more so awkward timing that both present problems than anything else. You may be in need of a tune-up.

I suggest that you have a technician check the condition of your spark plugs and do a fuel pressure test to ensure that you have the proper fuel pressure for the engine to operate normally. I also recommend checking the condition of the throttle body plate for excessive carbon buildup.

If you decide to get this fixed, enlist a qualified mechanic who can perform these checks to accurately diagnose your loss of power. Once this is done, an accurate repair can be made to get your car running normally once again.