Q: Long stall between 2nd and 3rd gears, plus whining noise

When driving in the morning and I go from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, there is a long stall before the shifter will shift to 3rd. There is also a whining sound while this is happening. Pressing on the gas pedal a bit will help it to get into 3rd gear. I am thinking this might mean a new transmission is needed or perhaps I need to perform a flush. I purchased the car used, so I don’t know when the last flush was done. In your opinion, what is the problem and what will fix it? Thank you.

Hello Without having a good impression of the actual symptoms you are experiencing, it would be difficult to tell you the exact problem. I would recommend having your transmission fluid level and condition checked first. Then, if the fluid level is low or the condition is bad, have the fluid changed and see if it makes a difference. I would recommend doing this first because a fluid exchange is much more inexpensive than a transmission replacement. If the fluid exchange does not make a difference, it is possible that you may have a shift solenoid going bad for the shift between second and third gear. I would recommend having the shifting issue fully inspected by a transmission expert to determine the actual cause of your transmission issue.

3. Long stall between 2nd and 3rd gears, plus whining noise