Q: Temperature guage fluctuates between mid temp (normal running) and cold at higher speeds

The vehicle sat idle during the Arizona summer months. When I started to drive it again in November the temperature guage came up to normal operating temp (mid guage) when idling. When at higher speeds the temperature drops and bounces off the bottom of the guage. I think the thermostat is stuck open. Will this damage the engine if I continue to run it like this.

This may cause other engine problems relating to the engine not warming up properly to run at normal operating temperature. There are many other systems that run based upon engine temperature and coolant temperature. Fuel injection and timing for example, is dependent upon engine and coolant temperature in order for it to properly supply the correct amount of fuel and ignition timing. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your thermostat.

3. Temperature guage fluctuates between mid temp (normal running) and cold at higher speeds