Q: Will using the brake pedal to reset the SBC counter work?

So i went to online forums and found out that i can either use STAR diag tool to reset the SBC counter or i can use the following technique: "Step on brake pedal while key is in 'on' position, hold for 10 sec, then turn ignition 'off' and remove key, then remove leg from brake pedal." I tried this and it didn't work. So my question is: Is there more to that technique than i know? Is there any other way to reset the SBC counter without using the STAR diag tool? I am in Nigeria (far away from all your workshops) and i don't trust any mechanics who claim they can use the STAR diag tool in my country. I have direction on how to reset the SBC counter using STAR but i heard STAR will cost 4500$ - is this correct?. P.S. pls don't tell me stuff like "your technique won't work you have to use star diag" if the technique won't work is there any other way to reset counter without using star diag?

Good day Chibuikem, Thank you for contacting us today. We typically stick to the OEM repair tips and service ideas. According to MB, the right way to resolve this problem is through computer reset procedures - using an OBD-II diagnostic scanner or Mercedes Benz authorized software (which is what the STAR tool includes). There really isn’t much we can do to help you here unfortunately - but you might want to continue searching online Mercedes-Benz forums to see if there is an additional step in that reset procedure that was forgotten.

3. Will using the brake pedal to reset the SBC counter work?