Q: Last night I was driving home and I heard this knocking noise, a minute later the noise went away and my check engine light came on.

Oil light was coming on as I hit the brakes.

Hi there. The noise you heard could have been the engine knocking due to a lack of engine oil. If the brake pedal is pressed and the oil light comes on, then the oil level could be low causing the oil pressure to drop as the oil pickup tube is unable to get the oil into the engine. Check the oil level on the engine and fill to the full line if its low. If the oil is full, then the pickup tube could be loose and moving around. If you need further assistance with your oil light coming on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Last night I was driving home and I heard this knocking noise, a minute later the noise went away and my check engine light came on.