Q: Knocking Sound Run Roughly Dark Transmission Fluid and Dark Engine Oil

asked by on October 15, 2016

It's making a knocking sound coming from under the hood? Transmission oil is dark color, so should I get a transmission oil fluid change or flush? It's running rough also. Should I get a Tune up? I haven't had a tune up in a long time. What consists of getting a tune up for it (I.e. replace spark plugs)?

I am not sure how many miles your transmission has on it. I would say replace the transmission fluid but if its been more that 150,000-200,000 miles you may have to have a rebuild done on your transmission if you replace the oil. There are particles in your transmission at that point that are keeping your transmission running.

You probably do need to get a tune up including, oil change, oil filter, air filter, replace spark plugs and wires, I always suggest my customers (I do this to my vehicle faithfully also), put 1/2 can of sea foam in your engine before changing the oil. Let the engine run around 10 minutes but not more than 15 minutes. Then drain oil and replace oil filter. Do NOT drive your vehicle while sea foam is in your engine. Sea Foam will help with cleaning out sludge in your engine.

If you would like one of our professional technicians perform a tune up on your vehicle you may book one in your area at the link provided below.