Q: Knocking noise valve clatter

My Tempo GL makes a knocking noise like valve clatter when I start it up and right before I shift it when driving from 60 – 70 mph. My number 1 connecting rod broke so I changed all of the rod bearings and the oil pump. But it didn’t help the knocking noise stop. I took the head off and on again, changed all of the lifters and still had the same problem. My push rods and rocker arms looked fine. Do you have any other ideas or suggestions?

Hello. It’s quite possible, even likely, that the crankshaft bearing journals are worn out of specification. Replacing the rod bearings only does not compensate for a worn crankshaft rod (or main) bearing journal. It’s also possible the oil pump pressure/volume are inadequate for your engine’s wear conditions. I would have a professional mechanic listen to, and check out the noise coming from your engine, and disassemble it further if needed to confirm the source of the knocking. A YourMechanic professional can help diagnose the noise and advise on repairs.