Q: Key not turning to start the car.

The vehicle was broken into and the thief tried to hot-wire it on the steering column. Now, the ignition key release button is jammed and the key will not turn to start the car.

Hi. It is likely that the thief did a irreversible to the steering column and ignition switch. The only thing that could fix the potential damages is to replace the components all together. I recommend having a trained YourMechanic technician inspect the ignition system for things that may have been broken or damaged by your uninvited guest.