Q: Jerking when accelerating.

asked by on March 05, 2017

Driving the car (08 Tahoe LTZ) perfectly calm at 55, outside air temp 30, 4 pax + load in car + ski box on top. Started overtaking when a jerking / grinding / breaking / vibrating notion spread through the car. Disappeared at 2500 rpm's, but came back when trying to accelerate again. After a few minutes, when slowing down, transmission hot idle engine message came on. Drove to a halt, checked engine temp, ok, but the dic trans temp was at 215, possibly been higher. Drove it for a few miles, but decided to stop. When starting at D it wiggled, made a resisting, jerking start reving to 2500 rpm before engaging. Tried 2nd and 1st, a bit better, but not good at all. Reverse without problem. Had engine oil AND trans oil + filter changed last week before going on a ski holiday. Checked tranny oil after having it flat bedded to the dealers today and oil looked good but smelled burned. Started car and drove it slowly forward...has a mechanical noice from undercarriage... What's wrong? /chris

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The transmission fluid level should be checked while the engine is running at operating temperature and idling with the gear selector in the park position. If this was the case when you checked your transmission fluid and the level was correct, there may be an issue inside the transmission or there could be a block in the transmission oil cooler circuit. If you check your fluid level under these conditions and the fluid level is too low, there may be a leak and a low transmission fluid level can cause excessive slipping and heat which may lead to damage of the transmission under heavy loads with a low fluid level. consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer inspection of the vehicle and offer a more personal diagnosis of your transmission concerns.