Q: Jerking and jumping

When I'm driving there is some jerking and jumping going on with my truck, when I'm stopped the rpm dips off and on. Also, sometimes when I'm stopped my truck surges forward almost like I was hit from behind

Hi, thanks for your question. This is a common symptom of a bad or failing mass air flow sensor. This is a component that regulates the amount of air that flows into the intake system of your car as it is mixed with fuel to a specific ratio prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not working properly, this can cause an imbalance in the air/fuel mixture being introduced to the engine which is what creates the jerking/jumping feeling you describe. When this happens there is usually a check engine light that will come on in your dash indicating the need to have it serviced.

If you would like help getting it serviced, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.

3. Jerking and jumping