Q: The car doesn't idle without gas - 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT

Honestly this is a car I'm looking to buy, so I don't have a lot of detail, he just told me its been sitting for about a year, and before it was fine. And now it won't idle without gas. I'm wondering if you have any idea's? He said could just need a tune up. But you never know right? What are your thoughts? Is there something I should look for specifically to help figure it out? Thanks!

Hi there. It sounds like it either has some bad fuel in the tank and lines or a bad idle air control valve. As the vehicle has sat for a year, the fuel should probably be changed out and disposed of properly. The idle air control valve could be sticking or inoperative completely.

You could try cleaning it with an appropriate cleaner like carburetor cleaner and see if it clears up, but most likely the valve needs to be replaced. "Tune-up" is an outdated phrase that is commonly overused. There are now maintenance schedules for the replacement of wearable items. A tune-up used to consist of adjustments that had to be made to the fuel and ignition systems; however, these adjustments are now made by the engine computer.

Have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform a pre-purchase vehicle inspection, a car does not idle inspection, and an idle air control valve replacement if needed.

3. The car doesn't idle without gas - 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT