Q: It is almost impossible to fill the tank now that the pump stops all the time

You know that little “click” noise you hear when the gas pump stops putting gas in your tank because it’s full? Well what if that happened every 20 seconds and you then dreaded every time you had to fill the tank? That is my reality thanks to my 2008 Jeep Patriot. So disappointed. What a stupid problem. How do I even fix this?

Gas station fill nozzles are designed to shut off when enough back pressure is detected, usually an indication the tank is full. However if your tank is not venting properly, it can have the same effect. Your description would indicate that this is your problem. You need to have your fuel tank ventilation system, including the fill pipe vent tube inspected for blockage or restrictions. A top-rated mechanic at YourMechanic, can inspect the fuel tank for you. Then you will need to repair or replace components as needed.

3. It is almost impossible to fill the tank now that the pump stops all the time