Q: Is the throttle body on a 2010 Chrysler Sebring apart of the transmission or are they 2 different things?

asked by on July 20, 2017

The car will not accelerate beyond 10 mph...we looked it up and talked to people at advance auto and they say the transmission is going out...we took it to where we got it from and they say that the throttle body has gone out

Hi There, The throttle body is entirely separate from the transmission and does not have anything to do with the transmission. It sounds like the vehicle may have gone into a reduced power mode. It may be possible that the throttle body may be malfunctioning causing a check engine light to come on and a code being stored. When this happens, the transmission control module may cause the car to go into limp mode resulting in the car moving only under limited power. The check engine light indicates that there is likely something wrong with the engine or transmission in your vehicle and will ususally come on in conjunction with the vehicle going into the reduced power mode. This happens when the vehicle computer detects something wrong with the engine or transmission that may potentially cause further damage or present a safety issue. It is important to have this diagnosed as soon as possible as it could range from something minor to something more serious. Unfortunately, there are many different reasons for this light to come on and the best way to diagnose is to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanner which will download the engine fault codes indicating more specifically what may be wrong. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr