Q: Is it possible for a leakfrom the slave/master cylinder to leak and then destroy the clutch from melting or burning on?

My brake fluid sensor came on the other night on my drive home from work, about 20 mi. The next morning, the car would not go into gear and the clutch petal "died". Now I'm being told that my master and slave cylinders need replaced along with the clutch as they "burnt" the clutch. Is that even possible or is the mechanic trying to get one over on me?

Hello. Yes the hydraulic brake fluid can cause the clutch to burn out and fail. The master cylinder is located next to the firewall on the left passenger side of the engine. The master cylinder is right above the clutch. When the master cylinder breaks leaks it will travel down and can drain directly onto the clutch assembly. This leak may be caused by the master cylinder itself, or by the brake lines going into it. Make sure to repair the brake line or master before you replace the clutch, or this is bound to happen again. It is not my first impression that this mechanic is trying to scam you, we cannot speak for or against this individual. Getting a second opinion and inspection may be best.

3. Is it possible for a leakfrom the slave/master cylinder to leak and then destroy the clutch from melting or burning on?