Q: Is it possible to take used key fob and reprogram it?

I have a used remote with the same button configurations (including remote start) and was wondering if it was possible to reset or overwrite that key fob to my vehicle. I have a single remote currently programmed to the car

Hi there. You could reprogram a key fob to a different vehicle as long as the key is the same for the vehicle. In this case, if the key can go into the doors and unlock them, then you would need to do the following:

• Remove the battery from the key fob and put it back in (unless you put in a new battery)
  • Remove the battery cables from the vehicle, wait 30 seconds, then hook them back up (reset computer).
  • Put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the ’ON’ position.
  • Turn the key to the ’OFF’ position.
  • Turn the key to the ’ON’ position and lock the door with you hand and the remote at the same time.
  • Turn the key to the ’OFF’ position.
  • Turn the key to the ’ON’ position and unlock the door with you hand and the remote at the same time.
  • Turn the key to the ’OFF’ position.
  • Remove the key from the ignition switch.
  • Put the key in the driver door
  • Unlock and lock the door with the key and push the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob at the same time - (do this 3 times).
  • Take the key out of the door and with the door shut, try to unlock the doors with the remote.
  • If the doors will lock then put the key in the ignition switch and try to start the engine.

If the engine starts up after these steps, then the key fob is successfully reprogrammed to your vehicle. If the key is not starting up the engine or locking the doors, then the key may be different all together and you would need to get a new key. If you need further assistance with your keyless entry system, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Is it possible to take used key fob and reprogram it?