Q: Could the problem be my brakes or shocks?

My finance replaced the back drum brakes so we were driving it the other day and the brake light comes on and while driving it we heard a sound like something was dragging.

The scraping sound you’re hearing may be due to the parking brake contacting the drum in hat rotor without the parking brake being applied. You may need to replace the parking brake shoe and install a new spring clip retainer, which is what keeps this from happening. These have a tendency to break over time, especially when not used regularly. An activated brake light while driving is generally caused by a faulty brake light switch that intermittently activates the brake lights without releasing properly. I would recommend having an expert technician, such as one from YourMechanic, properly diagnose and repair your dragging sound and break light problems.